New Licencing Options for Karting Newcomers

The Australian Karting Association (AKA) has recently introduced some exciting new licencing options for newcomers to the sport.

In an effort to further enhance the opportunity for people to experience the sport of karting the National Karting Council agreed earlier this month to introduce changes to both the E Grade Practice and C Grade Racing Licences.

The changes to the E Grade Practice licence will provide an allowance for newcomers to the sport, generally most of which have never raced a kart before, to compete in one club/local level event per licence period.

The cost of this licence has also been reduced to now have a suggested recommended retail price of $49.00 *costs will vary depending on the local, state and track fees that apply

“For a long time our sport has thrived on being able to provide the social karter the opportunity to get behind the wheel, now this change in the practice licence will take their experience to the next level in a cost effective manner,” said National President Simon Whiting.

Following on from the success of the introduction of the TaG Restricted category across the country, the change to the C Grade Licence structure will allow an easier transition for newcomers to the unrestricted categories.

The changes will see C Grade licence holders the opportunity to compete in the unrestricted 125 categories, such as Sportsman 125, TaG 125, Rotax or Leopard, on three occasions (once they have the required number of endorsements to be eligible for an upgrade) throughout the year before having to commit to upgrading their licence.

“These changes now allow the competitor to move up and experience the thrill of racing in an unrestricted 125 category to assist with in deciding whether they are ready for their next challenge in the sport,” said Whiting

“The new Sportsman 125 regulations that are currently being implemented by across the country will also make the step easier for these competitors.”

All licence enquires should be directed to your local club.